Friday, May 2, 2014

Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup

I have been wanting to make Joe homemade chicken noodle soup since Joe and I got married! Why it took me this long to finally do it and on a warm sunny day, I don't know, but I finally did. He is always saying that the noodles aren't good or thick enough so I was on a quest for the best noodles out there and sure enough I think I found them! Or they are at least to Joe's satisfaction :) You of course don't have to make them as thick or wide as I did, I personally thought they were a little thick but it's totally up to you! I really liked the overall taste of the soup. This recipe is a bit chunky or hearty whichever one you want to call it. I think next time I will make about 2 more cups or so of broth just to make it perfect.



Suzannah was quite happy with this dinner as well as she could eat it all and boy did she eat it all right up!

Here is the recipe, enjoy!
Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup (Noodle recipe below)
Yield: about 4-6 servings

Ingredients:
1/2 of a medium yellow onion, diced
1 cup diced fresh carrots (about 2 carrots), you can add more if you want
1 cup diced celery (about 2 stalks) or more if you want
1 Tablespoon butter
6 cups water (next time I think I will do 8)
6 teaspoons of chicken bouillon (so 8 next time)
8oz of chicken (I just used a chicken breast cause that's all I had but I know using a rotisserie chicken would be amazing or even boiling a whole chicken can give you some amazing chicken stock! So don't limit yourself here.)
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/4 tsp dried thyme leaves
a dash of dried bay leaves


Directions:
Dice up all the vegetables. Melt 1 Tablespoon of butter in a large skillet and saute until vegetables are soft. In a large pot boil your water and then stir in your bouillon. Add the vegetables to the pot and then use the skillet to cook your chicken breast. Once chicken is done cut into bite size pieces and add to the pot. Add the spices and bring it all to a boil. Reduce to a simmer for about 30 minutes or until vegetables are done. Do your noodles while this is simmering. I cooked noodles in a separate pot and then drained them and added them to the soup.


Homemade Noodle recipe
I found this noodle recipe at http://www.savoryreviews.com/2010/04/15/homemade-dumpling-noodles/. There are good pictures on this site for step by step if you want them.

Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup milk
2 egg
1 tbs butter, melted
1 tsp salt

Directions:
In a large bowl combine the flour and the salt.  In a medium bowl combine the milk, egg and melted butter.  Whisk to combine and beat the egg.  Make a well in the middle of the flour and add the egg mixture.
Stir the dough until it forms a ball and then turn it out onto a floured surface and knead it until the dough is smooth.  Roughly 5 minutes.  Then place the dough back into the large bowl and cover with plastic wrap.  Let the dough rest for 10-15 minutes.
Once again turn the dough out onto the floured surface.  This time flour a rolling pin and roll the dough out to about 1/4 inch in thickness. Flip your dough once while rolling out to ensure a easier process (sometimes if you just roll on one side then it gets too much flour and wont stick therefore making it harder to roll out).
Then cut the dough into desired noodle shapes with a pizza cutter or similar device.
(this website had them hang and dry for a while but I just cooked them and they were fine.)
To cook, place the noodles into salted boiling water and cook for 3-5 minutes depending on desired doneness.
Drain and then add to soup or top with sauce for some amazing pasta! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment