Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Quick 'N Hearty Vegetable Barley soup


Joe and I have been trying to change our diet and eat healthier, it's so hard there are so many yummy things to eat and I absolutely LOVE to bake! So from now on if I do any baking we are just going to have to give it away and only have a small helping if any at all :(. Any who, tonight we tried a new recipe, "Quick 'N Hearty Vegetable Barley Soup". It sounds nasty (I thought) but it actually turned out pretty good. Here is the recipe for you all...

Quick 'N Hearty Vegetable Barley Soup
Yields: 8 (1 cup) Servings

Ingredients:
1/2lb lean ground beef

1/2 cup chopped onion (I used Onion powder and there was also some in my can of tomatoes)
1 clove Garlic, minced (I used garlic powder and there was also some in my can of tomatoes)
5 Cups water
1 (14 1/2oz) can Unsalted whole tomatoes, undrained, cut into pieces (I just used diced tomatoes with roasted garlic and onion)
3/4 Cup Quaker Quick barley
1/2 Cup Sliced Celery (this was just about 2 stalks)
1/2 Cup Sliced Carrots (This was one large carrot or two med)
2 Beef Bouillon Cubes (I realized these have a lot of sodium so next time i will probably emit some of the water and do low sodium beef broth instead)
1/2 tsp dried basil, crushed
1 bay leaf
1 (9oz) pkg frozen mixed vegetables

Directions:
Start cooking beef with Garlic and onion. While that's cooking start prepping and adding all the ingredients except the frozen vegetables into a large pot. Cover, bring to a boil. Reduce heat, simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add frozen vegetables; cook about 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Additional water may be added if soup becomes to thick upon standing. 

1 comment: