Monday, March 17, 2014

Cafe Zupas Yucatan Tortilla Chicken Soup

One of Joe and I's favorite dinners is Tortilla soup. Usually we have a different recipe but we couldn't find it so we decided to try this one tonight and we liked it even better! Here is the recipe for you, I originally found it at lowcalorielove.BlogSpot.com/2013/04/café-zupas-Yucatan-tortilla-chicken.html but I also included my changes below for you.

Cafe Zupas Yucatan Tortilla Chicken Soup


2 Frozen chicken breasts/ I used a Rotisserie Chicken
1 Medium Onion, diced/ Joe hates onion so I used 1Tablespoon of Onion Powder
1 Can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 Cup uncooked brown rice
8 Cups chicken broth (4 cans)/ I used low-sodium chicken broth
2 Cans diced tomatoes with green chiles (mild)/ I blended the tomatos (you can change the amount to one can depending on if you like it really tomato-ie or spicy etc)
1/3 Cup Lime Juice (uses 1 lime)
1 Cup Frozen Sweet Corn

Optional toppings:
Avocado
Sour Cream
Chips
Tortilla strips

Place all the ingredients into a large pot, bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer for about 1 hour stirring occasionally or until rice is cooked. Serve with your choice of chips, avocado and/or sour cream. You can also do this in a crock pot and make it really easy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment