Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Corn & Squash Soup

Tonight for dinner I made Corn and Squash Soup. What I liked about this soup was that it was very fresh tasting. I did like that it was a good hearty soup as well. I do believe my other squash soup I make is a little better (I'll post that recipe when I make it) but I do still like this recipe and will definitely make it again. I found this recipe on pinterest so I just copied and pasted to save time tonight since I'm a little behind.


TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 25 min.
MAKES: 8 servings


  • Ingredients
  • 12 bacon strips, diced
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 celery rib, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

  • 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
  • 6 cups mashed cooked butternut squash
  • 2 cans (8-3/4 ounces each) cream-style corn
  • 2 cups half-and-half cream
  • 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • Sour cream, optional
  • Directions


    1. In a large saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings.
    2. In the drippings, saute onion and celery until tender. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually stir in broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until slightly thickened.
    3. Reduce heat to medium. Stir in the squash, corn, cream, parsley, salt, pepper and bacon. Cook and stir until heated through. Garnish with sour cream if desired. Yield: 8 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
    Originally published as Corn and Squash Soup in Taste of Home October/November 2005, p41



Nutritional Facts:
1 serving (1-1/4 cups) equals 381 calories, 26 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 53 mg cholesterol, 1,021 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 9 g protein.

No comments:

Post a Comment